Support for Victims & Witnesses

Northumbria Victim & Witness Service is here to help anyone living in Tyne & Wear or Northumberland who has been affected by crime. We can help you to access a wide range of services that provide practical and emotional support, including support after crime, support in court, restorative justice, help after sexual assault and free advice.

Because we’re an independent organisation, you can talk to us whether or not you’ve reported the crime to the police.

What to expect from NVWS

Our specially trained victim support team can help victims and witnesses of all types of crime. Once we receive your enquiry, an Northumbria Victim & Witness Service support officer will get in touch via your preferred method of contact, whether that’s by phone, text, email or letter. Depending on your needs, we may be able to meet you face to face, following our initial contact.

How to access our service

You can get in touch directly with Northumbria Victim & Witness Service to request support or a friend or family member can get in touch with us on your behalf with your consent. The police officer in charge of your case can also refer you to Northumbria Victim & Witness Service.

Northumbria Victim & Witness Service is open: Monday to Friday, 9am to 4am

Make a request for support

Choose the support you need

Cope and Recovery

We’re here to help anyone affected by a crime and offer a range of services to help you to recover from the experience.
Learn more

Attending Court

Northumbria Victim & Witness Service can support you if you need to give evidence in court as part of the criminal case.
Learn more

Restorative Justice

If you have been a victim of crime, you are entitled to a certain level of service under the Victims Code.
Learn more

Frequently asked questions...

Do I need to have reported my crime to the police to get support?

No, we can provide support after crime even if the crime hasn’t been reported. If reporting the incident is something you want to do, we can support this process too. 

Can you help me getting a new house?

Whilst we can provide advice on the right avenues and services to contact, Northumbria Victim & Witness Service cannot directly assist with a house move or help increase your priority banding.

Can Northumbria Victim & Witness Service help me financially?

Unfortunately we can’t provide financial assistance but can direct you to the appropriate services.

Is everything I tell you confidential?

Our Northumbria victim support is impartial to the criminal investigation. However, if safeguarding concerns are raised we do have a duty of care to report this.

I have difficulties in hearing, so can you visit me face to face?

Yes, face to face meetings can be arranged if it will benefit you in getting support.

I don't speak English but am I still able to speak to you?

Yes, we have access to an Interpreter Service who can assist us with speaking to you.

I haven't heard anything from the officer about my case. Can you help me get an update?

Yes, we are able to link in with the officer to try and obtain the information or request contact. You can get in touch with Northumbria Victim & Witness Service on 0800 011 3116 or email

Can I claim expenses to attend court?

If you live outside of the Northumbria area, we can organise travel and accommodation for you. If you live within the Northumbria area, you may still be entitled to claim travel expenses. You may also be entitled to claim expenses for loss of earnings, childcare and refreshments.

My employer will not give me time off to attend court. Can you help?

We are able to supply a letter to your employer outlining the statutory requirement to attend court.

Can I claim compensation for the crime committed against me?

Compensation is awarded by the court in certain cases. In cases of violence, you may be able to obtain compensation under the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme. This will take into account the amount awarded (and collected) by the criminal court. You can find more information here.

In some circumstances a person who has suffered loss or injury can take proceedings against the person responsible in the civil courts. For further information, you can contact the Citizens’ Advice Bureau.

Don’t see your question here?

Contact Us